Saturday, February 18, 2012

How do you practice for a rain dance?

It was raining very heavily earlier today. I was on the bus, on my way home. I didn't plan on leaving school so early, but the school library was freezing, and I was on the verge of falling sick, sniffling and all. The library's supposed to be a quiet place, and I think all my nose-blowing and moaning was disturbing other people. Moreover, I kept having to go to the toilet to steal tissue paper. I decided that maybe it would be better if I studied at home instead.

Anyway, like I was saying, I was on the bus, and it was raining. If I was to stop at my usual bus stop, it would mean that I had to cross the road. The rain was heavy, then. If I crossed the road, I would most definitely get soaked to my bones. So I formulated a plan in my head. It was a brilliant plan - almost pure genius in it's inception. But the thing about genius is that the line which separates it from dumbassness is a very thin one. Of course, I fell into the latter side of that spectrum.

The plan: Stop at Tanah Merah MRT Station, which is one stop later. Cross to the other side of the road using the underpass, to avoid the rain. Take a bus to my house which is one stop later. From the bus stop, it's sheltered all the way. Due to the distance-based fares, I'll be paying no additional cost as the distance is negligible.

What happened instead: I cross over to the other side as planned. The bus came soon enough. I got on, tapped my EZ-Link...DENIED because it had less than $1.40. I asked the driver how much it would cost to pay by coins. "$1.10," he replied. I rummaged my wallet for the correct amount, but of course, I was short of coins. I got off the bus. In the bus-stop, I looked through the multitudes of pockets in my bag and found the correct number of coins. I got on the next bus that came, parted with my $1.10 which I could have used to buy a can of coffee.

One stop later, I alighted from the bus and found that the rain had died down, so much so that I could have just walked home.

See right...if it had continued raining heavily, and if I had enough money in my EZ-Link...my actions would have been a stroke of masterfulsomeness. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment