Monday, January 2, 2012

CHINESE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!

I finally touched down to Singapore! It's great being back. For instance, I don't feel like such a minority anymore. Which isn't true, because I'm still a Filipino surrounded by other races (Chinese, Malay and Indian folks), as opposed to white Australian folks. I guess I'm just more used to it, so I don't feel like a minority, even though I should.

I feel taller too! Which again, isn't true, because...I'm still shorter than most of everybody else. Do you know that Filipinos are literally the shortest nationality in the world? As such, in Australia, everybody towered over me. Now, back in Singapore, everybody's pretty much taller than me still...but less so. I walk proud, with my head held high, so that I look less short.

I'm really going to miss the time I spent overseas. It felt nice to be so far removed from everything else. But at the back of my mind, there's this nagging feeling that I should be getting on with the rest of my life. That it was all one big illusion, break, and that it wouldn't last. Knowing this, I enjoyed myself to the fullest in Laos and in Australia. I immersed myself in being there.

And now that I'm back home again, it's time to immerse myself in being here. It's time to tie up loose ends, pursue what's there to be pursued, and move the fuck on.

Here's a little something interesting that happened at home: the water got cut off. One of the pipes burst, and somehow, water started seeping into my neighbours downstairs, and they complained. Because there was no one at home to open the house so that plumbers can have a look at the problem, there was no choice but to just turn off the water.

When I arrived home this morning with my brothers, the water was off. We couldn't shower, shit, wash our faces, etc. We couldn't even cook rice...which is the fundamental of a Filipino household.

It's such an apt metaphor for what's happened, I think. Now the plumbing problem has been fixed, and the water is on again. I'm going to take a shower now, and after that, I'm going to meet some friends. It's all very symbolic. Finally, my life, just like that water, will flow again.

Time for me to go with it, the flow, I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment