Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why pay more?

I was reading up on the subject of the recent minister's pay cut. So as you should already know, previously, Singaporean politicians were paid crazy high wages. In the course of the General Elections, much unhappiness was aired regarding this matter, and a panel was organized to examine the situation and make recommendations on how to make it more fair.

I'm not sure what the finer details are, but to make a long story short, they all get paid less. It's still high, but it's significantly less now.

Personally, I'm fine with them being paid such high wages. In this world, I've long since realized that you get what you pay for. When you buy slippers from River Island at $50 instead of Birkenstocks, you shouldn't be taken by surprise when they fail on you after just a few months. Similarly, if you pay lower wages, you're not going to get the best talent.

Money isn't everything, but it's a huge thing. And we might say that we want our politicians to be noble, and self-sacrificial...but those qualities aren't enough to run a good country. What you need is smart, efficient, organized people. So yeah, some of our current politicians might be in it just for the large pay, but as long as they do their jobs and do it well, I don't see any problems.

The calls for the pay cut stems pretty much from the unhappiness of the people. Clearly, the government hasn't been doing enough to appease the needs of the masses. I see this cut in pay as a reflection of this unhappiness. Like...when someone isn't performing well, you dock their pay. I honestly hope that when the economy does pick up, and when the authorities start doing their job better again, that their pay would be adjusted upwards again.

That's it for me on the pay cut. I had a long day today. I had a total of about 7 and a half hours of lessons, and it was crazy tiring. I'm going to sleep now. I have lots of work to do tomorrow hahahaha. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment