Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RU21?

Two days ago, I caught The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the cinemas. It's a movie based on the book of the same name. The book was written in Swedish, originally, and titled Men Who Hate Women. I bet you didn't know that! I didn't know that coming into the movie either, but I think I somehow sensed that sentiment throughout the entire movie. The way the men treated the women in the movie was...appalling to say the least.



It wasn't a good movie, I think. It was intriguing though. My criticisms lie mostly in it'spacing. It lasted a whopping 2hr48min. I kept expecting there to be an interlude of sorts. And it could have done away with whole segments which added nothing to the overall story. In fact, I managed to take a nap in the earlier part of the movie. I dozed off because it was boring, and when I woke up, I found that nothing new had happened in the movie.

The movie tries to tell two different stories, and it didn't manage to integrate them well into each other. There's the story of Lisbeth, the girl with the dragon tattoo. She's a very unique individual, and her story, and her personality are very interesting to watch. The movie tries to cover her background and establish her. I think it did it quite well. In addition to this was the story of Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist, who is tasked to investigate a series of gruesome murders dating back to the 1960s.

Mikael enlists the help of Lisbeth as her research assistant, and that's how the story intertwines. Like I said, Lisbeth's story is a fascinating study on abuse, feminism, and all that stuff. The crime-thriller part is where the story falls apart- it's simply not that interesting. Maybe it worked better in the books, but in the movie, it plodded on for far too long.

The ending was awkward. When the movie ended, there was a hush fell upon the audience - nobody knew what to say, and this hush followed us all the way out of the cinema. It just felt...flat. But there's two more movies in the pipeline, so I guess issues unresolved will be...resolved by then.

One of the reason I watched this show was because it was R21. It was my first proper R21 movie. I was excited...because...boobs. But what differentiates an M18 movie like The Hangover and an R21 movie I think is the grossness factor. There was a scene in the film which left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a necessary establishing moment, I guess, but...gross man.

The actress who played Lisbeth had a really nice butt by the way. Ughh, I feel like a pug for typing that.

That's it for me. School starts again tomorrow. Gah shit.



No comments:

Post a Comment