Monday, January 30, 2012

Goodbye Blue Mondays

Today was really really long and draining. It actually started yesterday night, when I stayed up way too late doing school work. I realize I'm not very efficient, period. There are too many distractions all the time, and I am a sucker for every single distraction. So at 2 in the morning, I was still doing research on an upcoming presentation, while doing my Business Law notes while reading Naruto at the same time.

See what I mean about not being very efficient?

So I slept late, and I had to wake up early for a class at 830am. That gave me slightly less than 5 hours of sleep. I woke up easily enough, dragged my ass to school. Paying attention wasn't a problem for me at first, but then I just got lost at one point, and gave up on trying to keep up. My brain was much.

After my first class, I was supposed to go for lunch, but I shelved those plans to prepare for my meeting at 130pm instead. One of my pet peeves is people who come to meetings unprepared. I didn't want to be my own worst enemy, so I sat myself down in a peaceful corner of the school and proceeded to do my work. To my utmost surprise, I was oddly efficient. It's true what they say about the last minute.

My project this time is about Polymerase Chemical Reaction. I'm really out of my league with this project. Half of this things I'm researching on doesn't make any sense to me. Take this sentence for example:

The desired fragment must be selectively amplified so that it is purified essentially to homogeneity. Thereafter, its structure and function can be comprehensively studied, for example by DNA sequencing, in vitro expression studies, etc., and various manipulations can be achieved to change its structure by in vitro mutagenesis.

WHAT THE SHIT.

Another one of my pet peeves is people who come late for meetings. I am painfully punctual all of the time. I'm serious. I think it stems from the fact that I hate disappointing other people. I don't care much about disappointing myself, because my own standards are horribly low, but when it comes to others, making a good impression counts. So I arrived early enough...other people arrived late. Part and parcel of university life, huh?

Meeting ended, and I went to the studio to do some touch-up on our current video that we're editing. It's been a long journey to get to this point, and it's not a journey which has been smooth. Bumps, and humps, and problems plagued us along the way, and I'll just keep it at that. It's the learning that's important.

I then had another meeting for an upcoming event. We're sourcing for sponsorship. It's something I've never tried before. But I want to expose myself to new things, because only then can I learn, you know? Besides, I like the people I'm working with. Even if the project itself turns out to be horrible, at least I went through it with them.

Reached home about half-an-hour back. Now I'm going to prepare for tomorrow's 7.5 hours of classes. Yes, 7.5 hours. The thought of it alone is enough to make me cry on the inside. I'm going to try to squeeze in a run, because balance is important, and visible progress is being made, which is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment